Take to the streets

Talk about all types of Role Play Games
No swearing, link posting, adult oriented, or illegal posts.
Chris
Site Admin

Take to the streets

Post by Chris »

Lot of players believe that the game of Role Play is about what you do in combat situations.

That is only a small part of roll playing... and it really has nothing to do with role playing if you think about it.

Combat is about dice rolls and who can do more damage the quickest.

Role Play Games needs that Role Play in the game. What I mean is that there is many things that could be done when there is no combat, and it isn't even put into Downtime. It covers so much... There is the search of information of where you need to go to deal with the problem (be it political or combatable), purchasing the right tools needed to get to the problem, and making plans to determine how you are going to solve the problem.

One of these ways is to Take to the Streets. Maybe one of the beggars know some small information that you need, after all, they see and hear so much and with a tip, they may pass it on to you. There is the market place, one of the sales associates may be able to get you the equipment and/or information of what they believe is going on. And to really get it going... there is the taverns full of people, you just need to run into the right person and interact with maybe a small drink or cash.

And that is just to start you off on the adventure. There is information to pass back to the people that you have solved the problem... you need to be able to show that you are the people that are working for the people. You are the heroes after all, so why not brag a bit... I mean, inform them of what you did to protect them.

It does not matter what type of system you are running or era that it is going to be in, Role Play is all of the adventure!
One day, we will make it right!

Zammy
Novice

Re: Take to the streets

Post by Zammy »

In the campaign i'm running my party have a few known quests that can lead them to adventures but instead they want to explore the starting city, which really makes me want to flesh it out. My PCs are going down alleys and down streets slowly finding mysteries or odd folk. I'm hoping they leave the city soon but some players are stubborn to find backstory related things in the starting city while others want to uncover the mystery of this one particular house and it's odd inhabitants. Due to the current goals of the party overall I'm adding events that happen within a certain number of in-game days to make things interesting, such as the local gang doing a heist of some sort that the players are aware about but refuse to look into for one reason or another.

Chris
Site Admin

Re: Take to the streets

Post by Chris »

Zammy wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:13 am
In the campaign i'm running my party have a few known quests that can lead them to adventures but instead they want to explore the starting city, which really makes me want to flesh it out. My PCs are going down alleys and down streets slowly finding mysteries or odd folk. I'm hoping they leave the city soon but some players are stubborn to find backstory related things in the starting city while others want to uncover the mystery of this one particular house and it's odd inhabitants. Due to the current goals of the party overall I'm adding events that happen within a certain number of in-game days to make things interesting, such as the local gang doing a heist of some sort that the players are aware about but refuse to look into for one reason or another.
This looks like an interesting situation that you have going on here. This does make a game master want to flesh out more of that one city.

Of course, I see an adventure here, and this is where I would like to know more. This particular house and it's odd inhabitants... this is where I would like to start. It does sound like a very good adventure right there. Did the players get told about this, or are they the ones that built it. Either way, this adventure hook might be something to build off of.

This is part of the major fleshing out. Why are they going back to this particular house, and above all... why are they interested in these inhabitants.

If you could, can you give a bit more information on this part. This may be a situation that can be developed and have them run around to get more information through the adventure.
One day, we will make it right!